Join the Club...

Hi everyone and welcome back to the Blog!

Those of you who have been following my progress over the last 6 months or so will no doubt be aware that Cycling Training has pretty much formed the basis of my new exercise regime. Yes, i'm about to start mixing it up and adding running into the mix along with getting back into my weight training in a big way - but these are really only 'vehicles' to help condition my body to generate the best Power to Weight ratio for my cycling.

Whilst I really enjoy getting out for a few hours on the bike and training hard - I have to admit that on some days it is very difficult to get the motivation to get out there and ride; particularly when it is as dark, wet and cold as it has been over the past few weeks! (As much as I love riding; feeling that pain as your fingers and toes warm up, post ride, that you haven't felt since you were forced to play School Boy Rugby in the snow is not a pleasant experience and one which I thought i'd left behind years ago! ).

Also, I was beginning to get to the point where I couldn't really force myself to improve without some additional help! So, after much deliberation and research, I took the plunge and joined one of the local Cycling Clubs, here in Oxford. It was pretty daunting, turning up in front of a cafe, decked out in my full lycra at 0900 on a Saturday morning, not knowing anyone; But do you know what? I'm so glad I did!

Despite the training I had been doing and knowing that I was fairly 'Bike Fit' I didn't want to turn up, go riding, get dropped in the first 10 minutes and be left feeling a complete fool; finding my own way home, head hung in shame in a sweaty, red, lycra clad mess! 

Yes, biting the bullet and heading to the club meeting point was quite daunting - indeed, this wasn't alleviated much upon my arrival, as pretty much everyone there was decked out in club attire, straddling their shiny, carbon fibre steeds and looking very professional! As soon as I arrived though, everyone welcomed me with open arms and I was made to feel completely at home... Seriously, within 5 minutes of setting off with the 'Slow Group' (which cruised at around 16.5-17.5mph for the 55 mile ride) we were looking like a pro peleton. Fifteen riders happily chatting away; everyone taking turns to ride on the front as and when required and shouting words of encouragement when the next hill came into view! (We even passed the 'Medium' group about an hour in as they'd suffered a few punctures! :) )...

Probably the best part about riding with the club is the feeling of camaraderie and 'belonging'; everyone was more than happy to offer their experience and wisdom and, given that our club is based around an amazing Cafe in the centre of Oxford, telephone numbers were exchanged during the post training Coffee and Toasted Banana Bread so that we could meet up for drinks that week and also to organise lifts to the start of the following weeks ride! It doesn't get much better than that!

Seriously, if you are even contemplating joining a Cycling Club, wether it be to get into your training more seriously or just to experience some new routes - bite the bullet and 'Join the Club' - you won't regret it! :)

If you live in or around Oxford and want to join our club - check it out here: 



If you want any more information or just to chat about joining, then feel free to drop me a line below; If i'm free I might even be able to meet you in the Cafe and chat in person over a coffee! :)

Incidentally, the cafe which our club is based in is also called 'Zappis' - an independent, run by 'The Two Dans'... If you are in Oxford and want to experience the best coffee around head on over; you might even bump into some of the Zappi's Club Riders who frequent there on an almost daily basis!

              
 
                                 
                                     Zappis Cafe
                  The best Coffee & Service in town!


             Check out the Zappis Cafe Website Here:

                        Zappis Bike Cafe Website 



                  
                    'The Two Dans'


Thanks for stopping by & until next time, train safely!

Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment